Friday, September 26, 2008

Knitting=Magic

Today I thought I would write about some projects that held my attention last spring and summer. First off, as I have mentioned before, I decided to make slippers for all (two of) my bridesmaids. This was actually a pretty simple endeavor but a bit tiring, mostly because they required felting (really fulling) and I don't have a washing machine. Also, because I didn't use the suggested yarn, which was entirely too expensive, and opted for my favorite yarn instead which (of course!) resulted in the wrong size of slippers.

So Lori at Cowgirl Yarn, the local Laramie yarn store, was very gracious and fulled all my slippers at least 3 times in the communal washing maching just trying to get the slippers to shrink. Some worked (a little too well), and some were still huge.

But, they are still really cool!

This was the first pair. They are adorable, but would probably fit a 3 or 4 year old and not my sister so...does anyone know a 3 or 4 year old in need of slippers? Just kidding, I'm keeping these for my own future 4 year old.

This is the second attempt. I adjusted the pattern to what I thought would work. This was the result before the washing machine. We (meaning Lori) ran them through 3 times and they were still really huge. They are just super long but I kept them for myself and wear them almost everyday. The top fits just fine.


This was the 3rd and final attempt and guess what? They worked! These were the pair I gave to my sister. I don't know if she wears them but she better, especially after reading this saga!

On to the summer....while we were on our very long, relaxing and really fun honeymoon (me on the shores of Grand Manan),

I was able to make this little dress for my friend Sara's new baby Paige.

I am still in awe of this dress.

Sometimes I can't believe I can make this stuff. It's magic I tell you, magic!

2 comments:

Nate and Michelle said...

heck yes I wear them. I wore them this morning during my partylite show... which isn't professional or anything, but it was people I know and i was in my own house on a saturday morning, so go me! I really like them!! I do wear them almost everyday...
Hey... go check your email. I sent you links to partylite stuff so you can order if you want. Love ya!

Lianne said...

Ok...a couple things...what do I need to do to get you to make the tiny slippers for my babies....what do I need to do to get you to make a cute little dress for Sadie...and what do I need to do to get you to make more hats for Sadie...because she won't fit into this one forever..? I love your knitting! Oh, and ...what do I need to do to get you to make me some slippers too?? I agree..magic.