Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One project or 50??

I've finished three whole pairs of mittens and I need a rest. This blog would be much better with pictures, and I really will use them eventually, but I just feel the need to keep writing. I don't want this space to go into oblivion like so many other sites I have started. Well, really, I only started and abandoned two or three but still.

Now I need to get cracking on a very cute little sweater for my friend's almost born baby. It is from Knit-Two-Together, a totally awesome book. The patterns are pretty simple and vary widely. For awhile I was stuck on the house slippers in that book and then I started one of the shawls. That project is still on the needles but I will finish it someday. It was supposed to be ready for my wedding this past summer but I was a little too ambitious. I wanted to make slippers for the bridesmaids and a lace shawl for myself all in the 2 months before the wedding. I'm surprised I got as far as I did. But I will finish that shawl someday!

Just like I will finish those socks and that cardigan.

See, I used to be a one project only type of knitter and now I'm doing at least four projects at a time. I also used to only buy yarn that I was going to use immediately. And, well, that is no longer the case anymore either.

I can't tell if I like the one project knitter more or less than the 4-project-at-a-time knitter. That later knitter was efficient and to the point. I like to think of myself in those terms in general, so that is appealing. However, the 4 project-at-a-time knitter is also pretty cool. She's ambitious and sporadic and totally determined to finish everything on time. I like her too. We'll see. When I'm buried in yarn for mittens and blankets and sweaters and hats for Christmas, I'll probably really miss one project knitter.

2 comments:

Nate and Michelle said...

hey! You should try to have a booth at a craft fair I want to try to have a PartyLite booth at. It's only $30 and it's at Oregon Trail Elementary School on November 15. How fast can you knit? By the way... that's way cheap for a craft fair.

Erika May said...

that would be cool. could we share the booth? the mittens i've been knitting are really fast and i don't have class that weekend...hmmm. let me think about it.