Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Story about Socks

Once upon a time I took a sock making class. This was my first experience with double pointed needles, my first experience with needles smaller than a size 8, my first experience knitting something other than a scarf, and my first experience with reading a pattern. It was confusing and only possible because of the extreme patience of a very gracious teacher. She fixed my mistakes many times and did the turn heel for me.

I (we) finished the first sock with difficulty and a lot of help over a 3 week period. The sock actually looked pretty good too with only a few minor mistakes. I bravely tried to start the second one a couple of weeks later and then, totally intimidated and lost without my teacher (who moved away!), I placed the unfinished pair in the yarn basket where it lay buried for the next two and a half years.

I learned to knit many more things in that time period, along with starting a new job, beginning my master's, getting married and moving all of my knitting paraphernalia to a new house. Yet still, my sock and a quarter sat lonely at the bottom of the yarn basket.

Until yesterday.

I picked up the very tiny needles knowing it wouldn't be as hard as it looks...and of course, it wasn't.
I finished my first pair of socks and it only took 2 1/2 years!

I'm officially a sock knitter.







P.S. I've been wearing them for the past two days and will probably wear them tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you get that FABULOUS rug?

Lianne said...

Erika, I changed my blog so that you can only view it if you're invited...and I need your email address, so I can send you an invitation. :)

ProudMom said...

Erika...so...I want to learn to knit. Can you teach me?...say...over break? I bought some supplies, and tried to teach myself with a book from the library...no luck. What should I buy to start out with? I'd just like to make some simple things like scarves, dish cloths, etc...and graduate from there later. :) Let me know.