Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Out with the Old...

This week was my first week not working at the treatment facility in four years. It is a welcomed change. I am currently embarking on a four month hiatus from my job, not necessarily by choice but because it is required for me to receive my master's. I hope to return in June in a new/different position but for now...

I am currently working in the Agriculture Department at UW (yeah, that's right) under the counselor for the department So far, it is quite slow. This is FINE with me. I will also be working, some evenings, with the Drug Court Program here in Laramie. Along with these duties I will be writing my final paper (a non-thesis, thesis. Yes, that's weird)

Part of that non-thesis thesis will be conducting a knitting club with the kids in treatment. I am trying to "prove" (in some ways) that knitting has a positive effect on mood in children with behavioral problems. It should be really fun and hopefully give me the results I want. We'll see.

On the knitting front:

2 baby blankets on the needles, 1 almost finished the other just started.
1 prayer shawl on the needles, almost finished.
1 black sock for Dan, just started and neglected for the past 3 weeks. (one sock is done so...)
1 prayer shawl, still just a ball of yarn
1 baby blanket, yarn not yet purchased (what are some good boy color combos that are not blue or yellow or green???)

1 pair of slippers for Dan...FINISHED! but in need of a hot bath (okay, so not really finished yet)

I really want to finish all of these in the next 3-4 weeks but that may be impossible.

I also am feeling inspired to start designing my own clothes. Yep, crazy. I have barely made any real clothing items so I think I should hold off and maybe use someone else's patterns for awhile.

Here are some of my inspirations, just in case you're wondering:

Norah Gaughan
Kate Gilbert


Both brilliant designers if you ask me...I can't look at their designs without wanting to knit them and wear them.

2 comments:

ProudMom said...

I just emailed you via Dan...and now some of my questions are answered, so sorry if I seem repetitive. :) I like sports teams' colors for boys blankets. We have a lot of red, black, and white (different combinations) as we are from Nebraska. :) But, now I wish we had a brown, gold, and white one...or something like that.

Nate and Michelle said...

boy colors... any of those mixed with a chocolate brown...